CIWED entered into partnership with Women Environmental Programme in August 2018 to implement women economic empowerment advocacy project on women access to fertile lands for crop production. Research in Ghana revealed that women do not have access to fertile lands for crop production especially in the northern part of the country. The project main aim was to partner with local authorities and lobby for allocation of fertile lands to women for crop production, specifically maize, soybeans and rice.
The following are the achievements under the Women Agenda 2030 Project
– Five communities in the Mion district benefited from the project.
– 872 women were reached out to and five advocacy groups were formed to champion the course of the project.
– 35 women group leaders were trained on advocacy, negotiation and lobbying skills
– 10 Gender Equality Champions (comprises of influential and religious people in communities) were identified and trained on advocacy negotiation and lobbying skills
– 82 beneficiaries were trained on good agronomic practices including soil fertility management process.
– 96 women were able to acquire fertile lands (average of 4 acres each) to cultivate maize, rice and soybeans and the yields were overwhelming.
About the Women Agenda 2030 Project
Women CSOs networking to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (Post-2015) also known as Women2030 project is an EU funded coalition of 5 global and regional women and gender networks working towards the realization of the Sustainable Development Goals, SDGs in 52 countries of the world. It is being implemented in the following regions of the world: Eastern Europe, Caucasus, Asia, Africa and Latin America.
The Women 2030 project comprise of the following 5 global and regional women and gender networks: Women in Engage for a Common Future (WECF); Women Environmental Programme (WEP); Global Forest Coalition (GFC); Gender and Water Alliance (GWA); and Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development (APWLD). WECF is the lead applicant of the Women2030 project while WEP is the lead partner in Africa.
The Objectives of Women2030 Project is tobuild capacity of women’s and gender-focused civil society organizations on planning, monitoring and implementation of the SDGs/post 2015 agenda and the climate agreement. Create awareness at all levels of gender-equitable best practices and progress of national post-2015 SDG plans. Ensure more gender-responsive SDGs/post 2015 plans with participation of women and women’s organizations.